Zoning Map Amendments


Zones are areas of unincorporated Box Elder County which have been given a designation which regulates and restricts the erection, construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair or use of buildings or structures, or the use of land as set forth in the Box Elder County Land Use Code.  An application for a Zoning Map Amendment is the instrument needed to modify, change, or create these zones.  These applications may be initiated by County Officials or property owners affected by the proposed change.


Upon receipt of the required documentation and any associated fees, the Planning Department will be reviewing your application for adherence to the Box Elder County Land Use Management and Development Code.  During the review process, your application will be placed on the Planning Commission (PC) agenda for their review and recommendation.  Upon the PC’s recommendation, your application will then be placed on the County Commission agenda for final decision.

Required Documents

The following documents are required at the time of application:

  • An accurate property map showing current and proposed zoning as well as showing all abutting properties and their current zoning designation
  • An accurate legal description and approximate common address of the proposed property to be zoned/rezoned
  • Text Amendment Community Development Application

Additional Information

  • A public hearing is required with the Planning Commission.  The County Commission will make a final decision in a public meeting.  Adjacent property owners will be notified and may speak at the public hearing.
  • Chapter 2-2-080: Zoning Map and Text Amendment.